- 2 lb (1 kg) stewing beef cubes
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut in wedges
- 3 carrots, cut in chunks
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) beef stock
- 1 can (5 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- Trim and cut beef into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
- In an 18 to 24 cup (4.5 to 6 L) slow-cooker, mix together beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours (or on High for 5 to 6 hours) or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Add peas, salt and pepper. Increase heat to High. Whisk flour with 2 tbsp (25 mL) water; stir into stew. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.