- 18 – large pasta shells (from 16-oz package)
- 1 – container (15 oz) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 – large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (depends on how intense you like the flavour)
- 1-2 cups frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain and chop
(optional) 1 cup chopped cooked chicken or shrimp
- 1 jar (26 oz) tomato pasta sauce (or use your own homemade sauce)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella (8 oz) or more
- Cook your pasta shells until alla dante (don’t overcook them as they will be baked)
- Combine ricotta, egg, Parmesan cheese, spinach and optional chicken or shrimp and stuff cooked pasta shells (alla dante).
- Put enough tomato pasta sauce to line the bottom of a baking dish and add the pasta shells.
- Drizzle tomato sauce over the tops of the pasta shells and put Mozzarella over top of all the shells.(Don’t put too much sauce on top of the shells, just spoon a little for added flavour)
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30-45 minutes depending on size of dish.
You can use the filling for rolled cannelloni by spreading it over fresh pasta sheets and roll the sheets like a jelly roll and place them in a baking dish lined with pasta sauce and then add the mozzarella over top along with the remaining tomato sauce and bake Bake at 375F. degrees for 30-45.