During these trying times, I hope all is staying well and inside and if you must go out for groceries or to walk the dog around the block for the 10th today, you are observing physical (social) distancing. The other thing we can do is to use up what we have in the fridge so as not to waste and put an undue demand on our food distribution system.
Stay well by staying inside.
- 1/2 medium cabbage (diced)
- 3 stalks of celery (diced)
- 2 large carrots (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3 medium potatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup pot or pearl barley (rice)
- 1 can (pasta sauce)
- 2 containers 900 ml each (4 cups) of broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
(Use up your vegetables in the fridge you feel would make a great soup)
- Put all the vegetables into a deep pot and saute lightly for 10 minutes
- Pour in the pasta sauce and your favorite broth.
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce and simmer for 2-3 hours until slightly tender
- Put in your barley or rice an hour before serving (if using pasta cook separately, then drop into your bowl when serving. Once soup has cooled down, put remaining pasta into the soup so as not to overcook it).
Instant Pot Cooking Option 2
- Put all vegetables into the Instant Pot and saute for 10 minutes
- Put broth and pasta sauce, barley or rice into the pot
- Put on lid and select soup option.
- (If using pasta cook separately, then drop into your bowl when serving. Once soup has cooled down, put remaining pasta into the soup so as not to overcook it).
Enjoy and keep safe