We are all staying inside during these trying time. So what better way of passing time then to make some bread. Here is a simple way to making yourself and someone you love happy during this pandemic. MAKE BREAD.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast, active dry or instant (1 gm)
- 1 teaspoon salt (6 gms)
- 1 1/2 cups water not boiling (354 mL)
- (about 2 Tablespoons extra flour for shaping)
- Dutch Oven
- Parchment Paper
- Put all of the ingredients except for the Extra flour into a bowl
- Mix all together til well blended
- Put plastic wrap over top and put in a non drafty place for 8-12 hours
- After 8-12 hours the dough mixture should have risen and appears bubbly
- Dust your surface with flour and gently turn out dough mixture
- Dust the to of the mixture and fold dough over a few time. Shape into a ball and place into a parchment lined bowl. (You don’t have to use parchment, but it makes it easier to lift out)
- Cover bowl and let rise 35 minutes to 1 1/2 depending on how dense you wish the bread. The longer it rises the more airy it will be.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. (I use 400, others use 450 depending on your oven)
- Put your dutch oven in the oven to get it piping hot (25-30 minutes)
- Once the dutch oven is hot, [Be careful to remove dutch oven (very hot)], place parchment with dough directly in the dutch oven, and cover. (if not using parchment drop dough directly into dutch oven).
- Bake for 30 minutes with cover on and then remove cover and continue to cook for 5-20 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F.
- Be careful to remove dutch oven (very hot) and remove bread to cool for at least 15 minutes.