Recipe #1 Traditional Baked Beans
- 1 pkg (4 cups or 900g) of navy beans
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Place beans in large bowl.
- Cover with water and soak overnight at room temperature. Add water, as needed, so that beans are always covered. Drain but reserve the water.
- Next day, bring beans to a boil and skim off foam from top. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Drain beans and reserve water for later
- Put beans in an oven proof container and pour reserved water over beans
- Put remaining ingredients into the bean mixture
- Bake in a 325 F. degree oven for about 3-4 hours or until tender, topping up the beans with reserved water as needed
Note: Instead of putting into the oven you can use a slow cooker 8-9 hours. Add diced pork chops if you like
Recipe #2 Maple Baked Beans
- 1 pkg navy beans (4 cups or 900g)
- 6 cups of water
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1/2 back bacon (cooked til crisp) or uncooked pork chops
- 1 cup of Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 2 Teaspoons of Prepared or Dijon Mustard or 1/2 teaspoon dry Mustard
- 1/3 cup Chili Sauce or Ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cracked pepper
- Place beans in large bowl. Cover with water and soak overnight at room temperature. Add water, as needed, so that beans are always covered. Drain but reserve the water.
Put beans into a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil. Simmer on the stove for an hour to two hours until just tender not too cooked. Skim off and foam and drain the beans but reserve the water
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients and add the beans.
- Cover the beans with the reserved liquid
- Bake in a 325 F. degree oven for about 3-4 hours or until tender
Note: Instead of putting into the oven you can use a slow cooker for 8-9 hours