This is an holiday favourite. The kids and family ask for it whenever we gather.
- Unbaked pie crust or tarts
- Shelled pecan halves (approx. 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of dark corn syrup (optional 3/4 cup dark corn syrup and 1/4 cup maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup of your favourite packed brown sugar (light, medium or dark)
- 1/4 cup of melted butter cooled to room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of table salt
- Place pie shell or tart shells on a baking sheet in case of spillage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line bottoms of pie shells or tart shells with pecans
- Mix together all remaining ingredients
- Carefully pour to the top of shells
- Pie Crust:
for 50-55 minutes in middle of oven (after first 20 minutes place a pie shield (silicon or aluminum foil) over edges of crust to prevent too much browning of edges
- Tart Crust:
for 20 minutes in middle of oven
Allow to cool as they are very hot. Serve at room temperature.