- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Large onion, cubed
- 3 large celery stalks (diced)
- 2 large carrot, diced
- 3 large potatoes diced
- 1 cups of frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 cups of cold water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp of flour and equal amounts of chicken broth as thickening mixture
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche or yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp of dry thyme
- 2 cups self-rising flour (or 2 cups of regular flour plus 3 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of fine table salt)
- Place whole chicken and 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning to a Dutch oven along with onions, carrots and celery and 3 cups of water
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour
- Once chicken is cooked remove and cool. Then separate meat from carcass
- Add meat and potatoes to broth mixture
- Combine the 2-3 tbsp of flour with equal amounts of chicken broth and add to the liquid
- Season stock with salt and paper to taste.
- Add frozen peas
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes with dumplings
To Make dumplings
- Add 1/2 cups of crème fraiche or yogurt (I use plain Greek yogurt)
- Whisk 1/2 cups of milk with 2 eggs along with 2 tsp of thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp of dry thyme.
- Add 2 cups of self-rising flour (or 2 cups of regular flour plus 3 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of fine table salt). Do not overmix.
- drop 1 tablespoon at a time of the mixture into the chicken broth mixture and cook for 15 minutes or until dumplings appear light and fluffy, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.