For Cake Batter
- 3/4 cup of plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup of almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar (icing sugar) (plus additional for decoration)
- 1/2 cups sliced toasted almonds (store bought or make them yourself, recipe to follow)
To make toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper onto a cookie sheet. Spray parchment paper with vegetable oil
- Spread slivered almonds in a single layer and bake 10-15 minutes until almonds just begin to turn golden brown. Stir every 5 minutes to prevent burning. When toasted remove from sheet and keep aside for decoration
- Mix together orange zest, orange juice, powdered (icing) sugar, vanilla and almond extracts. Whisk and set aside
For Cake Batter
- Spray sides of a 9-inch round cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper
- Stir until well blended the yogurt, sugar and eggs.
- Add all-purpose and almond flours along with baking powder, salt and almond and vanilla extracts
- Add oil and mix for about 2 or 3 minutes
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30-45 minutes. If top is getting too brown, cover with foil sprayed with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Bake until cake feels springy to the touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not over bake. Cool cake on wire rack.
- While cake is still warm use a pastry brush to gently pat glaze all over the top and sides. Continue to patting on glaze til all used up, it will be soaked up by the cake.
- Sprinkle almonds over top of cake while glaze is still wet and pat gently.
- Cool cake completely and then sprinkle with powdered (icing) sugar and serve